Friday, May 18, 2007

GETTING MOTIVATED TO WORK OUT

As a trainer, (Atlantis Health and Fitness, Secaucus, NJ) I've had many clients over the years who've worked out consistently for a while and made changes in their body and in the way they felt, and then just disappeared! It's like they were abducted or something...no phone call, no excuses, no warning...just gone. How does this happen? If you're laughing about this, then you probably already have the answer, and you're the one I'm still looking for.
There's a few things I tell anyone who is just getting started at the gym or with any exercise program. Set REALISTIC GOALS for yourself. Determine how much time you can spend each day exercising and how many days per week you'll be able to do it. Now put it into your weekly planner (and don't change it for ANYTHING).
Next, know what your objectives are: improve cardiovascular condition, lose weight, build muscle, increase flexibility, have more endurance, ect... I suggest setting some time asside for each of these things to improve your over-all fitness level and to feel GREAT! But let's be realistic, everyone's objectives are different, so make a list of you goals and prioritize them leaving more time for the most important tasks. For example, if you're trying to lose fat, you'll need to spend a little more time on cardiovascular activities, then say, stretching.
Once you know your objectives, look for activities that you enjoy and plan to participate in them. Chances are that your forcing yourself to do something you hate when you can easily find something you'd find fun to do...yes, I said FUN! Maybe you find jogging boring, then try a combination of equipment such as a rower, the stepper, go roller blading, go out for a bike ride, ect.. There are so many classes you can take to make exercising more exciting such as kickboxing, hip hop dance, bellydance (my new favorite thing!), pilates and much more. You can always order one of my fitness DVD's on my website www.cindyfoxfitness.com .If you like it, you'll be more likely to stick to it:)

Feel free to contact me at info@cindyfoxfitness.com

2 comments:

William Alderson said...

That could be me, when it is warm my body can move around. When the cold comes my body freezes up. But if I was closer to you Cindy, you can use your cowgirl whip to make me motovate.
Miss you,love you. Are u and Robert going to be in Nashville this year? Hope so, we want to see you and Robert. Been to long.

William Alderson said...

That could be me, when it is warm my body can move around. When the cold comes my body freezes up. But if I was closer to you Cindy, you can use your cowgirl whip to make me motovate.
Miss you,love you. Are u and Robert going to be in Nashville this year? Hope so, we want to see you and Robert. Been to long.